Stuffed Red Peppers – Clean Eating
Eating Clean is actually a lot more fun and tasty than I could have ever predicted. However, it is also hard work. Planning. Preparing. Packing. However, I have been blessed with a supportive circle. And many friends who I never “knew” ate clean, do, so I am equipped with recipe after recipe. This is a recipe I received from my dear friend A to help me get started… It was delicious, filling and made so much we accomplished eating three different meals from the filling alone. Delish.
- 1.5lbs ground turkey
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 red peppers
If doesn’t take much to prepare, but here goes the good stuff.
- Brown ground turkey, drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. In a separate pot, cook quinoa according to instructions on the packaging while preparing all other stuffing.
- Open can of black beans, rinse, drain and add to large mixing bowl with ground turkey.
- Add diced tomatoes, chopped jalapeno & chicken broth to the large mixing bowl.
- Once quinoa is done cooking, add to the large mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients well and let stand (we prepared our mixture one night in advance)
- Clean red peppers (prepare with your pepper preference), slice off top or side, pit & stuff
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, one warm, place peppers inside and uncovered for 1 hour
When peppers are done cooking, let stand momentarily while preparing plates. I topped my pepper with low fat shredded cheese and a dollop of plain greek yogurt. I also add generous portions of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. I like me a spicy pepper.
This dinner was insanely good. Packed with flavor and veggies, very filling and so satisfying. We baked 4 peppers and both ate the left-overs for lunch the following day. The remaining filling was used in burritos on Saturday for lunch. We warmed the mixture and stuffed an Ezekiel wrap, topped the burritos with plain greek yogurt and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
Incredible. Delightful. Num num.
Leave a Reply